I talk to a lot of people about retirement. Not only clients but most everyone I meet over age 50. I’ll always ask them what their #1 thought is on retirement. I’ve learned a lot from this exercise. The most important thing I’ve learned is that people worry about retirement….alot!.
They worry about:
- all the uncertainty
- living without a paycheck
- running out of money
- maintaining my standard of living
- my health and healthcare costs
- being a burden to my children
- long-term care costs
- losing money in the markets
- the economy
- my country
In this episode, I’ll show you how to come to terms with your worry and the uncertainty about retirement. Once you’ve done that, you’ll be free to build a system to manage through the uncertainty in your life. I discuss:
- Market uncertainty
- Economic uncertainty
- Uncertainty in your life
How to begin to manage it by:
- Scheduling “little conversations”
- Using checklists
- Making lots of little adjustments as your life unfolds during retirement
Building this structure is really what this blog, the Retirement Answer Library and podcast is all about.
Retirement Tip of the Week
The importance of tax diversity on your balance sheet as you near retirement. If you’re within 5 years from retirement, why it may make sense to significantly lower the amount you save in your 401(k) retirement plan.
- The Retirement Answer Library
- Tax Deferred vs. Taxable Savings Calculator
Enjoy the Podcast?
A big THANK YOU to Dean for sending me your kind note, thanking me for the podcast and Retirement Answer Library. So glad it’s been helpful to you. It really means the world to me.